Core Surgery Application Overview
The application for Core Surgical Training is a national process (applications to Northern Ireland are separate) and is coordinated by the London and South East Recruitment Office.
The application focuses on the essential criteria for Core Surgery CT1 as outlined in the Person Specification.
It is important to be aware of the specific wording of the eligibility requirements and make sure you have attained the required examinations and courses by the set deadlines.
Applications Close in early December with interview invitations sent out during December.
Core Surgery Application Information
All applications for Core Surgical Training are made via the online system Oriel. You will need to register and can make applications across multiple organisations or specialties.
Northern Ireland run a separate recruitment process and this is also be live on Oriel.
The application form has different sections that must be completed:
◊ Personal Details
◊ Equality and Diversity
All applicants to Core Surgical Training , provided they meet the essential criteria of the person specification, are guaranteed an interview.
The essential criteria from the Person Specification include:
◊ Qualifications - MBBS or equivalent medical qualification
◊ Evidence of Foundation Competences
◊ Advance Life Support (ALS) course completed by time of appointment
◊ GMC Registration & licence to practise
◊ Fitness to practise
◊ Right to Work in the UK
◊ Language Skills
◊ Career Progression (and Experience) - less than 18 months surgical
One of the most frequently asked questions regarding the application is how you can demonstrate foundation competencies, especially if you have been out of training or working abroad.
Evidence of Foundation Competences can be demonstrated in 3 ways:
1. If you are currently undertaking a recognised Foundation programme in the UK which is due to finish in the year of the interviews, you will be asked to confirm the name of your Foundation School. You do not need to do anything else at this stage but will be required to show proof of satisfactory completion of F1 at the interview. If you are in a standalone FY2 post a letter from your Foundation School stating you are on track will be required.
2. If you have completed a UK foundation programme within the last 3 years, you will be asked to confirm that you have been awarded an FACD 5.2. You MUST attach a scanned copy of your FACD 5.2 to your application. You do not need to do anything else at this stage but you will be expected to provide proof of the original certificate at a later date.
3. If you have not undertaken a UK Foundation programme within the last 3 years, you will be able to submit alternative evidence by asking a consultant who has supervised you for at least 3 months prior to the interview year to attest to your achievement of Foundation competency. You MUST attach a scanned copy of your alternative certificate to your application. You will be expected to provide proof of the original certificate at the interview.
If the required evidence is not submitted by the close of applications, the application will be longlisted out with no further recourse to appeal. No late documentation will be considered.
Booking An Interview
Once longlisting is complete, an email and text message will be sent to all successfully longlisted applicants inviting them to interview. From this point all successful applicants will be able to book an interview slot online via Oriel on a first come first served basis before the specified deadline given.
Greyed out time slots indicate that the times have been picked by other interviewees and are no longer available. All other slots shown can be booked.
You can change your interview time online up until the closing time for interview slot bookings (shown when you book a slot). To change your time slot, log in to your Oriel account and cancel your current booking. You will then be able to book another time slot. Your interview slot includes 30 minutes for checking of eligibility documentation as well as interview time. Please note, other available slots cannot be guaranteed.
Be sure to log on and book quickly. We recommend using an email address to register on Oriel that you check frequently or has push notifications enabled on your phone.
Core Surgical Training Competition Ratios
- Book your interview to coincide with your best time of day. Try to avoid the post-prandial session. Mid-morning or afternoon are usually a safe bet.
- Arrange any travel and accommodation plans well in advance to avoid unnecessary delays or anxiety and ensure you are well rested before the interview
- Allow plenty of time for travelling and try to arrive at the interview centre in good time.